Paintings by the artists of the famous "9th St." Show
Several artists who served in World War II did not have the attention of the Art critics of the post-World War II era. Their studios were located in lower Manhattan in the area bounded by 8th and 12th street between First and Sixth Avenues during the late 1940s and early 1950s. The artists who occupied these studios were called the Downtown Group. In 1949 the Downtown Group founded the Artists' Club, located at 39 East 8th streets. The members, with few exceptions, were mostly war veterans, 40 years old, men, and professional artists.
Their weekly discussions in the Club led to the idea of organizing an exhibition, 9th St Show. A linoleum cut poster was created by Franz Kline to promote the show. The show was located at 60 East 9th Street in the first floor and the basement of a building that was about to be demolished.